The Winnipeg Film Group has an immediate opening for a permanent, full-time Cinematheque Operations Coordinator.
The Winnipeg Film Group is a unique and dynamic artistic cinema centre that reaches out locally, nationally and internationally in support of the art, the artist and audience. We are an artist-run, charitable, non-profit organization. You can learn more about us at www.winnipegfilmgroup.com.
The Winnipeg Cinematheque is the Winnipeg Film Group’s exhibition wing. Via our Cinematheque, the Winnipeg Film Group programs the most important Canadian and the very best of world cinema – including shorts, documentaries, experimental films and features – to ensure that independent cinema is accessible to the Winnipeg community and that local and Canadian filmmakers and video artists have an on-going professional platform in Winnipeg by which to access audiences. Our Cinematheque wing has an annual operating budget of approximately $350,000.
The Winnipeg Film Group’s Cinematheque Operations Coordinator is a leader within our Cinematheque, responsible for managing the operation in support of Cinematheque’s programming array and for ensuring the quality of the audience experience, with key responsibilities including:
- Management / Supervisory – Managing and supervising a team of between five to ten house staff and projectionists, as well as volunteers in support of Cinematheque’s daily operation, to ensure an audience experience that provides exceptional customer service and a high technical quality
- Operational Management – Overseeing the cinema operation, including facility management, technical, financial reporting (including to artists/ distributors and internal financials), and supporting and developing Cinematheque’s various earned revenue streams, including its concessions, facility rentals, etc.
- Financial / Planning – Contributing to the Cinematheque’s budget development and ensuring that the Cinematheque operates within budget in a manner that is appropriate to our organization’s mandate and artistic context
The Cinematheque Operations Coordinator will report directly to the Cinematheque Programming Director and will work directly with the Cinematheque staff that includes the Cinematheque Programming Director, the Cinematheque Programming Coordinator, Cinematheque Technical Liaison and the Bookkeeper, among others.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Three to five years managerial / supervisory experience within a similar daily operational context, such as a cinema or restaurant operation
- A university degree in business administration, arts administration or fine arts, with professional experience at the supervisory or management level
- The capacity to read and create budget documents, financial statements and other financial documents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and an independently-driven commitment to client-centered service
- Proficiency in software programs such as Quickbooks, Excel, Word and Outlook, and the ability to learn new programs quickly. Experience in WordPress and Photoshop would also be considered an asset
- The capacity to work effectively within a fast-paced and ever-changing supply and demand context, related to concessions and related inventory, rentals management and other areas
- An appreciation and understanding of the arts and of the role of director-driven cinema in Canada is an asset
SUMMARY OF THE OFFER:
The Cinematheque Operations Coordinator is a permanent, full-time position within the Winnipeg Film Group, providing a salary of $27,300 per annum (30 hours per week, with some evening and weekend work on a regular basis via flex-hours).
The Winnipeg Film Group offers four weeks’ paid vacation yearly, access to our subsidized health benefits and RRSP matching plan, and professional development opportunities related to film production and experimentation.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS:
Interested individuals are invited to apply by submitting:
- A cover letter that outlines your related skills and experience
- A résumé that directly summaries your professional, educational and volunteer experience related to this position
Applications can be sent by mail or e-mail, or dropped off (no faxes, please).
• E-mail submissions in Word or PDF formats only, with the subject line “Cinematheque Operations Coordinator”, to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Mail or drop-off submissions should be addressed to:
Jaimz Asmundson, Cinematheque Programming Director
Winnipeg Film Group
304 – 100 Arthur Street
Winnipeg MB R3B 1H3
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS IS: Friday, November 18, 2016 at 4 PM
Applications will be reviewed by a hiring committee and only candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted directly by the Winnipeg Film Group.
The Winnipeg Film Group is an equal-opportunity employer.