Fall 2023: October 30 2023 (11:59PM)
Spring 2024: Spring 2024 (submissions open TBD)
There are no application fees, but you must be a current member in good standing of the Winnipeg Film Group to apply.
The Winnipeg Film Group’s MFM Post-Production is designed to assist Winnipeg Film Group members in the development of their artistic careers by providing support towards the post-production and production of film projects in the form of cash and services awards.
PLEASE NOTE: This fund is primarily geared to POST-production. PRODUCTION applications are welcome, but the funds for production are extremely limited.
NOTE: If you are applying for post-production, please include video samples or stills for the film you are submitting this grant for.
This award fund is geared to filmmakers who have made at least one independent production (on film, video or digital media) as director or as the primary artist/creator.
This fund supports films in narrative, experimental, documentary or hybrid/cross-genre. The fund is NOT designed for series, pilots or demo reels.
The MFM POST-PRODUCTION FUND has two deadlines annually, one in the fall and one in the spring.
FUNDING SUPPORT: This program will provide grants for up to $2,000 CASH and up to $2,000 in Winnipeg Film Group SERVICES.
Important Budget and Funding Requirement
NOTE: *IMPORTANT* If your budget exceeds the amount of cash and services from the Winnipeg Film Group ($2,000 cash, $2,000 services), you must create a document in the online application that details where the additional funds are coming from and the dollar amounts. You must also indicate whether the funds are confirmed or pending. If pending you must note date(s) you are expecting to hear back from the funding sources.
Your budget in the online application should clearly detail the cash and services dollars you wish to utilize from the fund ($2,000 cash, $2,000 services).
For the aforementioned document detailing additional funds, please use the “Other Funding Sources Document” section in the online application.
- To assist members to create film, video or digital media projects
- To assist members to use film, video or digital media as a means of artistic expression
- To assist members to further develop their careers as filmmakers
- To contribute to the overall development of filmmakers in Manitoba
- A current resident of Manitoba
- A current member of the Winnipeg Film Group (in good standing)
- Applicants who have completed at least one independent work as director or artist/creator (on film, video or digital media)
- The independent work must not be a student project, assignment or activity issued by a teacher or professor from a University, College or other preparatory related school
- The director/creator of the proposed project must have and will retain full artistic and editorial control
An applicant is only eligible to apply to this fund if they do NOT already have an OPEN MFM Post-Production Fund or MFM First Film Fund grant/award. An award/grant is considered CLOSED when a final report to the Winnipeg Film Group has been received, including a DVD or film file and that all documents and materials have approved by the Winnipeg Film Group. The only exception to this rule is those who have received a First Film Fund grant and have completed a rough or fine cut and wish to apply to the Post-Production Fund to finish their film.
An applicant is allowed to apply in any given round for One Film Only.
If you have applied for a previous round of funding and did not get funding, you are welcome to re-submit an application for this round.
Essential criteria for assessment
- The artistic merit of the proposed project
- The significance of the proposed project on the development of the applicant’s artistic career
- Whether the applicant can successfully carry out the proposed project
The submission process for the Winnipeg Film Group’s Fund programs has moved to an online system. SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN.
WHERE TO APPLY: Follow this link
In the event you have difficulty accessing a computer with Internet connection to make your submission, please contact the Winnipeg Film Group for assistance.
ENQUIRIES regarding the MFM POST-PRODUCTION FUND and other Winnipeg Film Group production programs can be directed to:
Production Programs Manager:
With the valuable, ongoing support of MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC we have been able to assist more than 250 Manitoba filmmakers create, market, and screen more than 400 films for more than 20 years.