Oct 15, 2020
Cinematheque’s Gimme Some Truth Documentary Festival returns for its 12th edition this winter with a new look and a brand-new documentary filmmaking challenge in partnership with DOC Manitoba! Instead of the usual 5-day festival in November, we are stretching things out a bit, with screenings of exciting contemporary docs spread out through the winter, culminating in a presentation of the films created in the aforementioned challenge.
The Gimme 10 in 30! Doc Challenge is a new documentary incubator challenge wherein 10 participants chosen via random lottery draw will be tasked with completing a new documentary film in 30 days. There are no restrictions or parameters to the films created, except they can’t be longer than 7 mins. Participants can even finish films that are in an existing state of production prior to the challenge, so long as the final touches are completed during the 30 day period. The 10 participating films will be screened at the Cinematheque in December and will be available for VOD rental on Cinematheque at Home thereafter.
More info below:
- Registration is now CLOSED!
- The deadline to register is 12pm CST on Monday, November 2
- 10 registrants will be selected via random lottery and notified on Tuesday, November 3
- Selected participants must pay a $25 entrance fee
- Participants are eligible to receive 50% discount on WFG gear & facility rentals (discount is applicable only to services utilized for the purposes of this challenge). Participants wishing to rent gear from the WFG must be active WFG Members w/ full Production Add-On, in good standing)
- Open to Manitoba residents only
- Selected participants will have until 5pm CST on Friday, December 4 to turn in their completed film (according to specified tech specs)
- Each film is eligible for a $500 jury prize for best film, furnished by DOC MB and adjudicated by peer jury
- All of the 10 final films will screen together at the Cinematheque in December as part of Gimme Some Truth Presents and will be posted for online VOD rentals on Cinematheque at Home for 1 month after cinema screening
- Selected participants will receive flat $100 artist fee for live screening and online VOD rentals
Presented in partnership with DOC Manitoba with support from IATSE 856 Manitoba.