MFM Marketing Fund
FALL 2018 DEADLINE
Thursday, November 15 at 4pm
Results by Thursday, January 24 2019
SPRING 2019 DEADLINE
Thursday, April 11 at 4pm
Extended to Tuesday, April 16 at 4pm
Results by Thursday, June 20 2019
There is no fee to submit but you MUST be a member of the WFG.
ABOUT THE FUND
The MFM MARKETING FUND (funded by Manitoba Film & Music) is designed to assist Manitoba filmmakers in the marketing and promotion of their films. The marketing of a film is a very important component of filmmaking, and a well thought out plan may help in the overall success of the film. Filmmakers with completed or near completed films can apply for financial assistance to contribute to distribution/marketing materials and activities such as preview / sale DVDs, web design, film and video screening copies, ads, entry fees and travel to markets and festivals.
Applicants must be residents of Manitoba and general members of the Winnipeg Film Group in good standing. Applicants must be the creator/director of the project, and must maintain full artistic and financial control of the project; producers are not eligible to apply.
Applicants cannot hold more than one MFM Marketing Fund at any given time; once one award is closed off, an applicant is eligible to apply for another project. Applicants can have concurrent MFM Marketing Fund and MFM Production Fund Awards.
**Note: Films will only be accepted as online links (passwords recommended)
Thanks to the valuable support of MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC for nearly 20 years we have been able to assist more than 200 Manitoba filmmakers create, market, and screen their films through our various Funds.
- Applicants must be the director of the project, and must maintain full artistic control of the project
- Producers are not eligible to apply
- The applicant must be a general member of the Winnipeg Film Group in good standing (new members accepted)
- The applicant must be a resident of Manitoba (proof of residency may be required)
- The submitted film must be completed within one month of the Marketing Fund deadline
- Projects may only receive one MFM MARKETING FUND
- Applicants may only submit one project per deadline
- Applicants may not submit a project more than twice
- Applicants may only hold one MFM MARKETING FUND at a time
ELIGIBLE COSTS (EXPLAIN RELEVANCY)
- DVDs / Blu-rays for festival entries or for sale
- DCP / video / film prints for screenings
- festival entry fees
- Vimeo / web hosting / advertising material and/or design
- postage for festival entries
- travel / registration funds to attend relevant conferences & market events
- other relevant marketing materials
- marketing expenses incurred before deadline
- expendable supplies (pens, paper, gas, etc)
FILES TO BE SUBMITTED
- Marketing Plan – film synopsis & how the FUND will be used (1000 words max)
- Biography / Filmography of Filmmaker (submit separate or together)
- Budget / Quotes for Marketing Plan (film budget is not required) (attach up to 2 quotes, if applicable)
- Artwork for DVDs, ads, website design, etc (up to 3, if applicable)
- Resume/CV (optional)
- Online link to film or clip – with password protection (vimeo recommended)
- Please note: The selection committee can only view 10 minutes for each submission. Please only submit 10 minutes of materials or inform us of your preferred start and end viewing time.
- A three member selection committee will be selected and chaired by the Deputy Director. The committee will either:
- award the full requested amount, up to $750
- award a portion of the requested amount,
- turn down the request.
CRITERIA FOR DECISIONS
- ARTISTIC: Does the film/project have artistic merit?
- AUDIENCE: Can the film/project find an audience/market, if applicable?
- FOCUS: Is the Marketing Plan focused?
- EFFECTIVENESS: Will the Marketing Plan assist the film/project reach the target markets as proposed?
- RELEVANCY: Is the Marketing Plan relevant to the film/project, era, market, etc?
- PRACTICALITY: Can the filmmaker complete this project as proposed?
NOTIFICATION & DISPERSAL OF FUNDS
- All applicants will receive email notice of the committee’s decision by the date listed above.
- Recipients may claim their Funds by providing copies of paid invoices / receipts for the applicable services to the Deputy Director. The filmmaker will be responsible for paying for all goods and services first.
- Recipients will only receive Funds for costs outlined in their application. Any substantial budget changes to the recipient’s original application must be discussed with the Deputy Director for approval.
- Eligible invoices or receipts begin on the day the MFM Marketing Fund application is due. No invoices or receipts will be accepted that are dated prior to that date.
- The Fund is active for 12 months. After this date access to the Fund will be closed. A Final Report will be required by the recipient to access the final installment.
OBLIGATIONS OF THE FUND RECIPIENT
- WINNIPEG FILM GROUP and MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC must receive credit on all materials created through the MFM Marketing Fund.
- The recipient agrees to submit a DVD and/or film file of the finished project.
- The recipient will submit a copy of all marketing / promotional materials produced using the Fund to WFG.
- The recipient must use the funds provided within 12 months of notification.
- A short final report detailing how the award was used must be submitted within 12 months of notification.
- All MFM Marketing Fund recipients must participate in a one-on-one meeting with MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC shortly after having received the award. MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC will provide information on its programs and on its logo requirements to each recipient.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION / FUND MANAGER
Please contact Monica Lowe, Deputy Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
(204) 925-3456 ext. 103
RESOURCES FOR RECIPIENTS
Expense Reimbursement Form
Winnipeg Film Group Logo
Manitoba Film & Music Logo
The recipient agrees that MANITOBA FILM & MUSIC and WINNIPEG FILM GROUP shall receive credit, in the wording and format approved in advance, on all advertising and promotional materials created through the Marketing Fund.