NO MAN CAN DEFINE ME: The Films of Winston Washington Moxam (DVD)
Purchase the DVD/Catalogue Combo and save!
Purchase just the Catalogue
February 1, 2013 – The Winnipeg Film Group is pleased to present the first DVD collection of the films of Winston Washington Moxam (1963-2011) to commemorate a five-city Canadian tour and retrospective of Winston’s films.
Moxam is, to date, the most significant black filmmaker to emerge from Manitoba. His independent body of work spans two decades, from 1989 to 2010, and includes short fiction, documentary, and two features. All of these works address issues of race, racism and social justice, and significantly reflect the experience of living in Winnipeg and Manitoba. As filmmaker/writer Matthew Rankin writes in his essay “From the Outside Looking In: The Films of Winston Washington Moxam”: “Questions of race have rarely been tackled by Winnipeg filmmakers. Through the sensationalist 1990s Moxam was the lone cinematic voice to speak for racial understanding in Manitoba. In this respect, Moxam must be seen as a pioneer. Only very recently has he been joined by a younger generation of filmmakers – notably Divya Mehra and Darryl Nepinak – who, like Moxam before them, ask provocative questions of mainstream white audiences.”
The DVD features new transfers directly from the 16mm prints:
For more info on Winston and the 2013 Canadian Retrospective Tour please visit winstonmoxam.ca
HOME USE DVD – $15
- RIGHTS – Home viewing only, including home schooling.
- EXCLUSIONS – Screenings in front of a group in a workshop, classroom setting, or community setting are NOT included or permitted under this license. Any form of copying or altering of the format purchased is not permitted.
For all other uses other than private, at home use you must select one of the following options:
SINGLE SITE LICENCE (includes K-12) – $75
- RIGHTS – Library and instructional use within a single school, small office, or hospital.
- EXCLUSIONS – Circulating use outside the organization, institution, or office or to donate programs to other organizations or institutions are NOT included or permitted under this license for use. Any form of copying or altering of the format purchased is not permitted.
- PUBLIC LIBRARIES – Please enquire about discounts for multiple copies purchased for branch libraries.
COMMUNITY – $150
- RIGHTS – This Licence applies to all non-profit and community groups wishing to screen the film in an educational setting with no admission charged to groups of no more than 50 people. Please contact us with any questions or if you wish to charge admission or screen to a larger audience.
INSTITUTIONAL LICENCE – $325
- RIGHTS – Library and instructional use in a workshop or classroom setting or in a Government office. Circulation to multiple departments, institutions or offices within a jurisdiction such as schools within a school district or offices within a company is permitted.
- EXCLUSIONS – Any form of copying or altering of the format purchased is not permitted.
- Thank you for supporting artists and independent film!
- For more information or if you have any questions or special requests please contact the Distribution Director, Monica Lowe at +1 (204) 925-3456 ext. 103 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Streaming online or in a closed circuit system is not included in the above prices. Please contact us to discuss an additional licence for streaming.