Feb 11, 2019
AFRO PRAIRIE FILM FESTIVAL
Thursday, February 21 – Sunday, February 24, 2019
The 2nd annual Afro Prairie Film Festival is less than two weeks away. Please click here to download the program guide PDF (in both French and English).
Full program listing and advance tickets can be found here.
This is the first festival in central Canada dedicated to the support and exposure of emerging and established Black filmmakers in North America. For four days, participants can engage in a fun filled weekend full of programming and events.
- Hosting a Women in Film Luncheon on Saturday 23rd.
- Friday is our designated Franco-Canadian programming.
- We are screening a 2019 Oscar nominated Documentary.
- We are screening a film that’s part of the Museum of Modern Art’s collection.
- Blackkklansman a 2018 Spike Lee film makes its way back to Winnipeg.
- A fantastic crop of Canadian shorts will make their debut in the Prairies.
- There’s a film for children/parents on Sunday.
If you love film this is a unique opportunity to discover new voices and you will be helping to support black filmmaking, a voice that is rarely heard in the Canadian landscape. The festival will take place from Thursday, February 21 – Sunday, February 24, 2019 at the Cinematheque, 100 Arthur Street.
SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT WOMEN IN FILM LUNCHEON:
Ella Cooper, founder of Black Women Film based in Toronto, will be our keynote speaker and we’ll be hosting a “Networking Luncheon for Women in Film“, it is a free event with food and beverages. We are hosting the event in Ella’s honour, Saturday, February 23rd at 12 noon. We are reaching out to ALL local women currently working in film/video/media arts.
Please help spread the word, every share is helpful. Thanks.