Jun 6, 2018
June 6, 2018
The Winnipeg Film Group (WFG) is pleased to announce that Scott Fitzpatrick is the recipient of the 2018 Manitoba Film Hothouse Award. Scott Fitzpatrick is an internationally acclaimed filmmaker, film festival programmer and curator. His most recent work includes:
- Fifth Metacarpal (2018), a hyper-personal essay film commissioned by the Toronto 8 Fest for presentation in 2018.
- Trigger Warning (2017), an examination of gun violence and police brutality in the United States which premiered at the 28th annual Onion City Experimental Film Festival in Chicago.
- Zombie, Part 1 (2016), the first of a trilogy shot on Super 8mm that utilizes found footage, performance, pop music and a rhythmic editing style to focus upon a speed-addicted Flagler, Florida resident who documents his life through stylized writing and photography. Zombie, Part 1 received the Jury Prize at the 2017 Milwaukee Underground Film Festival.
The Hothouse Award recognizes the career of an established Manitoba filmmaker. It comes in the form of $10,000 in cash and $5,000 in production services to support ongoing development work leading towards the production of one or several film productions or projects. In conjunction with his Hothouse Award, the Winnipeg Cinematheque will feature a retrospective screening of the recipient’s work.
The award will support Fitzpatrick:
- in the production of Zombie, Pt. 2 and in the development of Zombie, Pt. 3;
- a 16mm installation and Expanded Cinema projects and;
- several new works including a series of autostereograms in collaboration with Alyssa Bornn.
Fitzpatrick was selected for the award unanimously by a selection committee comprised of Toronto-based filmmaker/producer Lea Marin (whose previous collaboration with Charles Officer, Unarmed Verses, received the 2017 Best Feature Film Award at the 2017 Hot Docs Film Festival), acclaimed Winnipeg filmmaker/director Rhayne Vermette (whose latest film Domus was recently screened at the Images Film Festival in Toronto) and WFG Executive Director Greg Klymkiw (producer, filmmaker, screenwriter and teacher).
For further information, please contact Greg Klymkiw at firstname.lastname@example.org