MANITOBA FILM HOTHOUSE AWARD FOR CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT
The Manitoba Film Hothouse Award for Creative Development is designed to support a local, Manitoba filmmaker who has been practicing for at least five years to further develop their careers by providing them with added profile and with funding to support self-directed development work.
This award includes $10,000 in cash and $5,000 in services and a full user membership from the Winnipeg Film Group. Additionally, the award-recipient will be provided with a special, retrospective screening at the Winnipeg Film Group’s Cinematheque.
There is one award annually. A filmmaker can receive the Manitoba Film Hothouse Award only once.
Inquiries about this program can be directed to Ivan Hughes, Production Centre Director at email@example.com or 925-3456 ext 109.
The Winnipeg Film Group acknowledges the generous funding of the Province of Manitoba for the Manitoba Film Hothouse Award for Creative Development.
• Eligible applicants are practicing Manitoba filmmakers who have been working as creators / directors in film or video for a minimum of five years and who have produced a recognizable body of independent work. Independent work, for the purposes of this program, means work where the director retains full editorial control.
• Eligible applicants must have a history of public presentation for their independent film and / or video works (selected by a third-party programming / curatoral process) spanning a minimum of five years - at recognized festivals, art galleries, broadcasters, artist-run centres, etc.
• Applicants should be able to articulate the self-directed development work that they seek to engage in over a minimum four-month period supported by this award, including any project-related expenses. Examples of eligible self-directed development work include – but are not limited to – research, experimentation, script writing and process-based development.
• Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, and have lived in Manitoba for at least one full year immediately prior to submitting an application for this award.
• Applicants must be over 18 years of age and cannot be full-time students.
• Applicants can hold a Manitoba Film Hothouse Award concurrent with a Production Fund and / or a Marketing Fund Award.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The award recipient will be selected by a committee of experienced independent filmmakers and other film professionals such as programmers, curators and arts administrators.
The jury will base its decision on the following criteria:
1. The historic artistic achievements of the filmmaker, as demonstrated by their history of professional presentation, awards and other distinctions, as well as the overall quality of their body of work. (50%)
2. The artistic merit of the self-directed work proposed and its connection to the filmmaker’s artistic career trajectory. (35%)
3. The capacity of the resources of this award to assist the filmmaker in their overall career development objectives. (15%)